I’ve curated a selection of outfit recommendations tailored to complement different body types. For those with a pear body shape, which typically features narrow shoulders, a smaller waist, and wider hips, thighs, and bottom, the key is to create a balanced silhouette by accentuating the upper body.
- A-Line Skirts and Dresses: These pieces naturally flare out from the waist, highlighting your midsection while gracefully flowing over wider hips and thighs.
- Tailored Trousers: Opt for styles that cinch at the waist, as they help define your smaller waist and provide a flattering fit over the hips.
- Blazers and Layering Pieces: Adding a blazer or a structured third piece can effectively broaden the shoulders, achieving a harmonious balance with the hips.
Event – Wedding Guest
Budget – £1,000
Client Age – 40
Client size – UK 16
Pear Shape (bottom heavy)
Dress – Zimmermann
High Heels – Solo Femme
Bag – Chylak
Earrings – Mayol Jewelry
Bow Hair clip – Claires
For those with an apple body shape, which typically features slim legs and a neat bottom but carries extra weight around the middle and sometimes a larger bust, a great starting point is investing in a well-fitted bra to define the waist.
- Showcase Your Legs: With naturally slim legs, opt for clothing that highlights this asset.
- Use Prints and Cropped Jackets: These elements can effectively break up the body visually. Jackets with a defined waist can also accentuate your shape.
- Opt for Flat-Fronted Trousers and Skirts: These styles can smooth out the midsection for a flattering look.
- Avoid Shapeless and Baggy Clothes: Aim for more structured pieces that provide shape without being overly tight.
- Steer Clear of Belts: They can draw unwanted attention to the midsection, so it’s best to avoid them.
Event – Job Interview (Law Firm)
Budget – £200
Client Age – 25
Client size – UK 10
Apple body shape (weight carried around the waist)
High-neck satin top – COS
Blazer – ZARA
Trousers – AWEAR
Loafers – Sagan
Crossbody bag – ZARA
For individuals with a rectangle body shape, often described as having a more straight up-and-down figure with minimal waist definition, creating the illusion of curves can be a game-changer.
- Emphasize the Chest and Hips: Incorporate garments with added details like soft frills, structured pleats, folds, or peplums around the chest and hip areas. These additions can create visual curves and enhance your silhouette.
- Avoid Boxy Tops and Jackets: These can make your figure appear more linear, so opt for more tailored or shaped pieces.
- Skip the Belt: Rather than using a belt to create a waist, focus on clothing that naturally gives shape and dimension to your figure.
Event – Weekend away with friends
Budget – £500
Client Age – 35
Client size – UK 12
Rectangle Body Shape (not much difference in measurements bust, waist and hips)
Sneakers – New Balance
Sunglasses – Le Specs
Jeans – ONLY
Blouse – VILA
Leather jacket – ONLY
Shopper bag – COS
Embrace your hourglass figure, known for its balanced curves, proportionate shoulders and hips, rounded bottom and thighs, and a distinctively smaller waist. The key to dressing this body type is choosing shaped and fitted garments that highlight your natural silhouette.
- Opt for Stretchy Fabrics: These materials accentuate your curves gracefully.
- Supportive Tops: Look for tops that support the bust and elongate the waist, such as scoop necks or deep V-necklines.
- Embrace Wrap Dresses: Their design naturally complements the hourglass figure, enhancing the waist.
- Fitted Cardigans: Deep V-neck cardigans can be particularly flattering.
- Avoid Excess Bulk: Steer clear of clothing that adds unnecessary volume around your curves.
- Be Cautious with Frills and Belts: Especially if you’re short-waisted, as they can disrupt the natural balance of your figure.
Event – After a divorce – feeling confident again
Budget – £1,500
Client Age – 50
Client size – UK 14
Hourglass Body Shape (a defined waist and curvy bust and hips)
Dress – VILA
Bag – Chylak
High Heels – Stuart Weitzman
Blazer – Modivo
What is your body shape? Do you have any struggles while choosing an outfit?
Do share your comments!